Friday, November 11, 2016

Story Animation

  The latest 2D animation from my animation class required a story. There needed to be a plot, action, and a walk cycle. After creating storyboards for our animations, my class began to work. The creation process began in Adobe Photoshop. Characters, backgrounds, everything was crafted and colored to fit each person's needs. Each layer was perfected, then the work was moved to Adobe After Effects.
  Adobe After Effects was the program used to put the animation together. Each layer was placed in its position, then moved throughout the animation. Some things could be moved with the use of key frames, while some objects needed to be moved with puppet pin tools. I included a stick figure in my animation, and I used puppet pin tools to move it. My robot's legs were moved with the use of key frames. I set the legs in a position, then created a key frame to make the legs be in that position at the selected time. After a full cycle, I copied and pasted the key frames to make the walk look consistent.


  The final animation wasn't the best. The concept was supposed to be that the robot was a ghost, or a hologram, or something. But nobody seemed to get that. They just figured I did a bad job. And while it wasn't as obvious as it could've been, I'm still learning this, I don't know how I could make it any clearer, and they probably should've been able to figure it out. Some of my classmates started pointing out stuff that was wrong with it, but I did those things on purpose to try and make it look like the robot was a ghost. Yes, there were things that I could have done better, but overall, most of the criticism was based around a false assumption. And at least something happened in my animations. There were some animations where the entire scene was a badly drawn blob walking for 30 seconds. If I had more time, I would have concentrated on the details a little bit more rather than just focusing on finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment